Building Personal & Team Resilience
The last time we wrote, we told you about a workshop we were running which challenged your current thinking, lifestyles and leadership to enable you to thrive in the increasingly tough and demanding working environment of today. We find that more and more is being required from leaders and individuals within organisations.
In order to face each day with renewed enthusiasm and vigour required to accomplish all that is asked of us, we need to be resilient to the pressure and setbacks that life inevitably throws at us.
We thought we would share with you Ascend’s top twelve tips to help you build personal & team resilience:-
- Create a climate where you and your team feel respected, recognised, trusted and secure
- See threats as opportunities; stretching tasks/assignments as learning opportunities and not pass/fail tests
- Focus on what you and your team can control (not waste energy and time on what you/they can’t)
- Get clarity on short and long term goals; understand why you and your team are doing what the Organisation or you have asked of them
- Reconnect with your values and ensure that these align with what you are doing and the culture you are working in
- Honour the body’s design: get enough exercise and sleep to help you maintain stamina and concentration and boost your immune system
- Take time and effort to eat the right combination of foods at the right time to sustain energy and help your body recover
- Reflect on the balance you want in your life and the balance you have. Decide what you are going to do about it. Encourage others to do the same.
- Spend time on ‘deliberate practice’ to ensure you perform when you need to
- Remind yourself of your many achievements to help you bounce back from set backs
- Build a strong support network of trusted relationships, not just to help you achieve things but to help put you back on the horse when you are knocked or fall off
- Focus on the behaviours and habits that you need to change, and give yourself cues to remind you of them
To learn more about Ascend’s approach to building more resilient organisations, team and leaders please contact us.
In the meantime you may find this book a useful resource: Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps... and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind by Nick Littlehales.